It is located 10 km east of Puerto de la Cruz, and about 20 km west of the island’s capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Its name means “the Slaughter of Acentejo” in Spanish, and refers to the 1494 First Battle of Acentejo, lost by the Spanish. The population is 8,944 (2013) and the area is 14.11 km². The elevation is 425 m. The TF-5 motorway passes through the municipality. The municipality contains the following settlements: In historic times before the arrival of the Spaniards, Acentejo was part of the menceyato (kingdom) of Taoro. The first and the second battles of Acentejo took place in 1494. The Spanish under Alonso Fernández de Lugo suffered a terrible defeat at this first battle, at the place now called La Matanza (“The Slaughter”).
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information