(Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈkɐmɐɾɐ ðɨ ˈloβuʃ]; literally, Portuguese: chamber of the wolves) is a municipality, parish and city in the south-central coast of the island of Madeira.
Technically a suburb of the much larger capital city of Funchal, it is one of the larger population centres and an extension of the Funchal economy. The location of the modern town is believed to be the original landing point for the Portuguese discoverer João Gonçalves Zarco, who is credited with the discovery of the Madeira Islands. When the explorer disembarked in this area (1419), he observed a thin cliff that extended into the ocean, and another cliff face that formed an amphitheatre-like harbour that could shelter ships from Atlantic storms. There Zarco and his men also found a large colony of marine animals that would become the reason for naming this area Câmara de Lobos.
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information