Hegyeshalom (Hungarian: [ˈhɛɟɛʃhɒlom]) is a village of approximately 3600 inhabitants in the Győr-Moson-Sopron county of Hungary, on the border with Austria and less than 15 km from the border with Slovakia.
A charter given by Andrew II of Hungary in 1217 mentions the settlement as Hegelshalm. After the Ottoman wars, the town was settled by German Jewish settlers. The name of Hegyeshalom is from the two Hungarian word = Hegyes + Halom. The word “Hegyes” means “mountainous” (or “piked”) and the word “Halom” means “pile”. Until 21 December 2007, at 00:00 CET, Hegyeshalom was an important border crossing and control point between Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. However, all border controls ceased at that time as Hungary as well as Slovakia joined the Schengen Area. The Hungarian M1 motorway passes through Hegyeshalom. It connects with Austria’s A4 motorway across the border at Nickelsdorf.
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information