Eggenburg is located on the eastern edge of the forest district in Lower Austria. The area of the township covers 23.52 square kilometers. 11.59 percent of the area is forested. The municipality consists of the cadastral communities Eggenburg, Engelsdorf, Gauderndorf, Stoitzendorf and Stoitzendorf Heide. Already in prehistoric times, the granite plateau above the Schmida, on which Eggenburg was founded, was populated by people from the younger Stone Age. The city was born in the Babenberger period (976–1246). After the turn of the millennium, Lower Austria was populated up to the northern forest – today’s Waldviertel. To secure this area, the fortified border town of Eggenburg already had a market function around 1160/70. Eginpurch was first documented in the 12th century. In the disagreement between Premysl Ottokar and Rudolf von Habsburg, Eggenburg sided with the Habsburgs, whereupon the latter renewed the city’s rights on August 13, 1277. With the construction of the Franz-Josefs-Bahn in 1870, Eggenburg was reachable from Vienna in two hours. The population increased again and with the initiative Garden City of the businessman Franz Gamerith a city expansion was created.
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information