Today the castle functions as a museum. In 1242, the castle appears in a document for the first time mentioned as fortress Schala. From the 13th to the 15th century the castle was owned by the lords of Zelking (German: von Zelking). From 1456 until 1614, castle Schallaburg was in the possession of the family von Losenstein. In the 16th century Hans Wilhelm von Losenstein renovated it into a Renaissance style, and rebuilt the church of Loosdorf into a Renaissance Lutheran church. There he also founded a Lutheran grammar school for youths of both nobility and non-nobility (‘die Hohe Schule’, 1574-1627). In 1601 Hans Wilhelm von Losenstein died, resulting in rested high debts on the castle. In 1614 the father-in-law of George Christoph auf Losensteinleithen, George von Stubenberg, bought the castle. In 1627 the church and school were closed according to a law issued by the archduke of Austria emperor Ferdinand II, who wished to restore the Catholic faith in Lower Austria. From the 17th century until the 20th, the castle changed owners several times. It remained private property until 1945. In 1945 it was confiscated by the Russians, and then in 1955 the castle became property of the new Republic of Austria.
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen zu Cookies & Datenschutz finden Sie hier: <a href="https://clipstogo.at/privacy-statement/">privacy statement</a>.