It is situated in the flat, lake-studded Seewinkel region which is part of the Little Hungarian Plain. The village was first mentioned in 1487 under the name Anthau al. nom. Zantho. Szántó means “plower, or tiller” in Hungarian. The German name was derived from the Hungarian one by dropping the first “z” : z’Antau – Antau – Andau. During the Hungarian revolution of 1956, 70,000 refugees escaped the communist regime by crossing the border from Hungary into Austria over a small wooden bridge, called the Brücke von Andau. This was memorialized by James A. Michener in his book The Bridge at Andau.
Diese Website verwendet Cookies. Indem Sie weiter auf dieser Website navigieren, ohne die Cookie-Einstellungen Ihres Internet Browsers zu ändern, stimmen Sie unserer Verwendung von Cookies zu. mehr Information